Who You'd Be Today

Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Kaitlyn Mae Foundation

My husband and I have been talking about starting a foundation to help others who experience a loss such as ours. We want to be able to provide support to those in need. It's important to recieve the proper counciling if needed, which we have seen other foundations assist with. What we want to do in addition to that is a little different.
We were told at the hospital that every year they would hold a memorial service for everyone that lost a child there that year. There was a plaque made for the child and put in the courtyard for parents to visit anytime they wanted. We thought this was a great thing to do. We were then told it was not done last year due to lack of funds. The nurses were determined to have it this spring even if they had to fund from their own pockets. This made us so sad.
We were also given the option to have Kaitlyn buried somewhere and of course have a funeral if we wanted to. This was not really an option for us due to lack of funds as well.
Losing a child is the hardest thing I have ever experienced in my life. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemey. The last thing someone needs when dealing with this sort of tragedy is to have to make hard decisions about their baby and have money influence their final decision. This is what we want to help with. We first want to make sure the hospital can continue to offer this memorial at least once a year if not twice. I'd like to gradually spread this to other hospitals and help them to do the same. We also want to help families with funeral arrangements if that is their desire. We want to help with planning as well as with finances if they are in need.
We are very serious about starting this foundation as soon as possible. We can not wait to help others that are in need. We don't want anyone else to go through what we did. Anything we can do to help ease the heartache with these families, we are willing to do.

I want to know your thoughts. I know I have some readers out there. Please give me your thoughts and ideas about starting this foundation. I wish we could start right away. Finances are going to be our main issue getting started. We are  going to need major help. What can we do to get the ball rolling? Please help us. Thanks so much for reading and may God bless you and your family.

4 comments:

  1. so sorry for your loss, it is very hard to lose. i have lost 3 pregnancies in a row, and now we have finally been blessed with an angel! the only thing you can do is keep the faith in Lord and believe. And do talk about it that also helps alot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is great what you are trying to do for others and it will help you heal. God bless your family, those sweet nurses and that little angel of yours. stay strong and i wish you the best of luck in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about your loss. What you are hoping to do is an awesome way to honor your beautiful baby. Just to let you know, my grandson passed a year ago from SIDS. Jeremiah was 5 1/2 months old. The funeral home provided all of their services, free. I have hear there are many funeral homes that do the same for infants. It may be worth checking funeral homes in the area to see. I wish you all the best and may God be your comforter in this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this foundation would be awesome. I just came across your blog and have only read this one post. I have a friend who recently lost a baby at 30 weeks. I think a foundation of this sort would be wonderful for families going through this difficult time. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete